IN THE HISTORICAL CENTER OF SAN VENANZO
– Church of the Madonna Liberatrice (XIV sec.) with one fresco of the XV sec.
– Church of Saint Venanzo Martire with one fresco and the scenes of the Way Crucis in ceramics of Orvieto.
– Facade of the Church of Saint Venanzo
– Communal park with the rests of the castle
– Villa Faina (XIX sec.)
PARK AND VULCANOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF SAN VENANZO
Vulcanological Museum, situated in the historical center of the country, is been born in order to illustrate in informative way, the volcanic origins of Saint Venanzo area and in order to put it in relation with dynamics land. Inside the museum there are themed routes…
PARK OF SEVEN FRIARS
The Park of the “Seven Friars” are a splendid green space in proximity of the top of Monte Peglia. In the park there are facilities for picnics, an amphitheater for the summery representations and one cottage in stone used as documentation center, from which we see a beautiful landscape on the park , on the lago of Corbara and on mounts of five Italian regions: Tuscany, Marches, Abruzzi, Lazio and naturally Umbria. From spring to end summer it is possible to admire the fascinating flights and colors of innumerevoli butterflies between an evocative ecotourist route, from where it is possible to admire an incomparable panoramas …
CELLAR OF FAINA COUNT
Is the collelungo Castle (XIII century) to host the historic winery that already with Ceferino Faina, reached great notoriety since 1876. A witness to the ancient history is the barrel dated 1883, still present in the premises of aging, a time used to make a rest of famous wines throughout Italy for their quality. The locals are still the original ones, ie the basement of the castle which, it is said, served as a secret passage of the beautiful Imperia, legendary character of the Middle Ages. The cellar is not only a place of production but also real tourist attraction. The galleries, long 150 meters, destined today aging wine creating a real path between arches and secret passages, along which you can also find antique pieces related to wine production, thus creating a small museum of the wine. The castle also is located in a medieval village still inhabited and has an old world charm, where you can walk through the streets and meet extraordinary characters.
SANCTUARY OF THE MADONNA DELLA LUCE
Its construction was started as a result of unusual events: it was started in 1829 when, in the medieval church located along the castle walls, a sudden detachment of plaster allowed the discovery of the image of Our Lady of Light, a fresco of the fifteenth century attributed to Peter Nicholas of Orvieto. The incident was immediately given a prodigious value, also because it was followed by a series of cures considered miraculous by the faithful. So was promoted the construction of a new church to be dedicated to Our Lady of Light, inaugurated exactly a century later, in 1929.
FORTIFIED VILLAGE IN TOWN ROTECASTELLO
The name derives from the fortified structure, wheel-shaped or circular , rota-castle, mentioned in the land registry in 1292, in good condition. Visible the main tower of village, recently restored, and traces of the other six towers that made up the defense. The place, inhabited since Etruscan times, became in middle age a fortified castle in the hands of a family of Ghibellines from Orvieto…
CURIOSITY AND POPULAR LEGENDS
The coat of arms…
A careful analysis of the emblem of the city of San Venanzo allows us to note the presence of: a ‘eagle with talons bien planted on the towers of a castle set inside a shield with a crown on his head and stately enclosed down between an oak branch and one olive. The interpretation of this symbology based on traditional classical meaning of Heraldry reveals that:. the EAGLE is to represent the feudal power, the CORONA domination by a noble lordship. the OAK BRANCH represents strength, courage, virtue, perseverance, OLIVE BRANCH is finally to mean a clear call to peace. Now, based on logical reasoning is reasonable to think that the choice of the Eagle may arise, for example, by an explicit reference to the eagle imperial troops of Barbarossa’s where passage remains the most reliable witness in the near Poggio Kite. Or that eagle could be the testimony of its most authentic and long feudal history during which the Castle of San Venanzo grew and prospered under the rule of the powerful family of Monaldeschi of Orvieto from the beginning of 1300 until the end of 1600. San Venanzo and all other Castles Orvietano, located in the north side – east of Peglia, were in fact governed by at least one of the descendants of that family Guelph and, coincidentally, the symbol looks like a faithful copy of the medieval seal used by the City Orvieto. It ‘a fact that eventually the eagle in question does not refer in any case to one of four different branches where Monaldeschi divided after fierce internal feuds after the death of the powerful Ermanno. San Venanzo fact belonged to Monaldesci of Cervara and this excludes any connection with the fact that, along with those of the dog, the viper and the deer for example there is also that of ‘eagle. Having fielded these arguments, unsupported by documentary evidence is therefore only an attempt to provide a range of possible explanations that strive at least to suggest plausible reasoning on the choices made by those who adopted them posthumously.
Rivalry between families…
On the footprint of tales, whose reliability is linked to more or less fanciful tales handed down by popular tradition in the bloody rivalry between the different branches of the family Monaldeschi we like to remember at least two anecdotes: In 1351 the Monaldeschi (deer) did capture a young branch of the viper suspected of undermining a girl of his own faction, killed him brutally in the basement of Castle Tower Alfina and then reduced his body into pieces so small as to make food for the falcons. Another episode of the fratricidal conflict between Monaldeschi concerns the continuing theft of livestock between Corrado Monaldeschi and Peter dell’Angus whose appendix (angus = snake) betrays the belonging to the branch of the viper already present in the territory as rulers of the castle Pornello. In the poem by Luciana Bonaparte who narrates the exploits of “Bella Imperia” (Imperia Montemarte, widow of Conrad was real lady Colleungo around 1450 and is handed down in legend as the ghost of the same castle), the irascible Corrado goes out of itself at the sight of the bloody corpse of the faithful squire sent to Peter to ask account of theft and retaliates costrigendo the hated kinsman to escape the flames and giving him the manor of Castelvecchio.
Destruction of the castle…
At the dynasty of the Counts Faina goes great merit of all those works for which at the international awards, then followed: a great enrichment of the family whose possessions stretched from Perugia to the Tuscan Maremma, the climb to the control of banks and politicians and seats , most recently, the unbridled ambition to acquire a prestigious villa worthy of his noble class. Count Eugenio once also become senator, he took charge with great determination and properly orienting the resolutions of the City Council that he had already shot down the two gates to the country, in the space of about eight years he managed in order to: possession of the dominant part of the castle, overcome almost entirely the walls and houses, build a stable outside the stables for horses and houses for the workers, demolish the old church to make a pond and promote the construction of new in the lower part, broaden the base of the interior space with the construction of the cellars, and finally by a fence to enclose the new palace of nineteenth-century style, the greenhouse, the gardens of the villa as we see it today soar on real botanical garden Grove below.