Of the municipality of San Venanzo (TR), is located on a hilltop overlooking the limestone marl the stream Fersinone (a tributary of the River Nestor) at a height of 295 m above sea level and is occupied by 78 people, according to official data of the Istat census of 2001.Il village is located in a rather isolated location, easily reached from the nearby Marsciano, or across a road on a steep slope, deviation of the highway leading to San Venanzo.Lo emblem of the country bears carved prominently eagle.
Near the town, in 1898, was found a burial pit was neolithic (10,000 BC); inside, there was a skeleton, surrounded by objects in flint and copper, probably of the culture that Rinaldone.Among these, of particular value and finish, a flint dagger in red and a hammer drilled, now preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Bologna.
In the thirteenth century, the Castel del Poggio de l’Kite appears to be a property of Cadolingi Counts of Marsciano (of Lombard origin) and will result in a possession of the nobles of Perugia, including the Oddi, the Podiani, the Montesperelli and Ponfreni. in 1258 appears to be under the jurisdiction of Perugia, the southern border of the county with the territory of the High Orvietano, and in 1282 the mayor of the village lent loyalty magistrates perugini.Arrigo VII of Luxembourg was hosted here in 1312, during his coming to subjugate the Florentines.
In 1442 is written to the Statute of Poggio Kite, a collection of 109 items designed to regulate the government, security, social relations of the small community (now in the Biblioteca Augusta of Perugia). Granted for the first time by the Counts of Marsciano, it will then be integrated and updated in 1556.
In the eighteenth century there is established an “upstream frumentario”, ie one of the few points of central Italy where they gathered grain intended for human consumption.
It belonged to Perugia until 1831, when Rome was passed under the jurisdiction of Orvieto. So he remained in the town of San Vito in Monte until 1927, when it was incorporated in the municipality of San Venanzo. From the religious point of view, however, the territory Poggese is still inserted in the Diocese of Perugia.
Among the famous people of Poggio must remember the painter Adelio Saints, born in 1918 in Castel Viscardo and then transfer agents in these places.
Village of San Vito until 1831, became part of the municipality of San Venanzo in 1929. The parish church contains interesting pictorial evidence including a Via Crucis of the eighteenth century.
Last week of May and first week of June, celebrations for the patron St. Paschal Baylon and Festival of umbricelli handmade by the Association FRIENDS OF POGGIO AQUILONE.